Sunday, May 10, 2009

Happy Mother's day! How my weekend went...

First off, I'd just like to wish all you moms out there a very "Happy Mother's Day"!

Well, I have been having a great time using my work friend's Vitamix 5200. "Boy does that blender rawk! The smoothies, the sauces, all the goodies made in that thing are smooth and delicious!" I really need to save up for one of my own!

Speaking of sauces, I made my Sweet Cheesy Kale Chips this weekend using the Vitamix. I was so into making the stuff, I forgot to put in the nutritional yeast that helps add the nutty flavor. Oh well, they still came out pretty darned good! Check out the recipe for yourself! I also made some raw ice cream - vanilla, and chocolate-carob. The Vitamix really made a difference in the consistency of the ice cream mix that I placed in the freezer. This batch is super creamy and delish! Still no need for an ice cream maker. Check my recipe blog later for the recipe and the pics.

Oh, you know what else? I don't know if I mentioned this previously, but my other good friend from work has an herb garden. His wife and him have been giving me fresh herbs right from the garden. I mean big bag fulls. They have given me basil, dill, cilantro, parsley, mint, and tomatoes (not an herb, but still from the garden). I've been feeling rather blessed. Well anyway, they gave me tons more. So this weekend I decided to dehydrate some of it to make dried herbs for my food prep. While I was dehydrating them, the dehydrator kept shutting off. It must have done that 6 times before it finally stayed on long enough to dry them. You see, I'm still using an old Nesco dehydrator (the round kind with no temp control). Another item for the wish list is an Excalibur dehydrator. I would love to own one of those things too! I use the heck out of my Nesco, and it shows.

Well, I was beginning to worry that I wouldn't be able to dehydrate my kale chips...but luckily the Nesco turned back on and stayed on overnight. The chips came out fine. I hope to make a few more things today with it, so hopefully it will hang in there a little while longer. Just knowing how I feel about the Vitamix, I'm sure I'd feel the same way about the Excalibur. I know that one day I will have these items for my very own! Patience...

Yesterday I also managed to take time out an watch my copy of "Simply Raw, Reversing Diabetes in 30 Days". Wow! This documentary was so "rawsome"! It was so well done, so heart-felt, I actually cried a few times out of happiness for the people who made the transition, and found hope in their health again! It's definitely a movie to see! Whether you suffer from diabetes or not, this movie will make an impact on you and how you think about your health, your diet, the medical industry, and raw food.

After watching that, I decided to take out my "Food Matters" video and watch that again. Another brilliant documentary to watch! Watching these two movies really empower you to want to go out and spread the word on using raw food to heal and feel well! "Hey, that's what I want to do!"

As for my daily raw, and the 100-day challenge through Raw Fu, I've been doing good overall. I have been eating a little more organic corn chips than I should, but everything else has been high raw! As you know, I was eating a lot of raw chocolate too...but I have cut way back on that too! For the most part, my daily diet consists a tall glass of water with MSM and freshly squeezed lemon juice, then later a small morning fruit smoothie (antioxidant rich), maybe a raw bar or mostly raw apple with raw almond butter to dip. Then for lunch I'll have a big salad of greens, seaweed, tomatoe, cucumber, and maybe avocado, hemp seed, and a little bragg's and kelp flakes. I'll also have a Kombucha with it or just plain water. Then for a late afternoon snack I'll have fruit (unless I'm still full). Then for my early dinner I have a huge green smoothie! That's it! The only thing that's not included is the occasional corn chip binge, and the two weeks of raw chocolate I consumed...

Well, that's it for today. I need to get back to working on my site, and hopefully making my first web video. We'll see. Till' next time, have a great day, and a blessed week!

Peace! :)

- Debbie

No comments: