Saturday, August 30, 2008

Once again, it's been a while

I realize it’s been a long while again since I blogged. All I can say is the usual, “I’ve been super busy with this and that!” And I have! I just feel silly using the same excuse over and over again. Anyway, to get started, I thought I’d share a couple of things with you. First off, on August 14th, I celebrated my one year anniversary of changing to a high raw food diet! Yippee! Secondly, I’m proud to say, that since I joined the Raw Fu 100-day Raw Fu Challenge, I have been consistently 95-98.9% raw the entire 30 days so far…with only one day of falling off the wagon (back in the beginning). I paid dearly for that day with major stomach sickness…I’ve been too scared to screw up again (lol)!

Seriously though, when your body finally adapts to a new way of living, it’s very hard on it to change back. And truthfully, when you see how you feel and glow, why would you want to go back. Memories are great…but you can make new memories with this new way of living and being.

Plus over the past few months my family has been enjoying more and more drinking green smoothies with me on a daily basis, and eating healthier all the time. It’s fabulous!

I’ve kept up with the exercise and yoga, even with my super busy schedule. I really love yoga; I think it’s truly making a difference for me. Even with my chronic back issues, I feel better and better, and I haven’t had to have any pain meds. In fact, I’ve only had about 2 pain meds over the past 2-3 months. Again, to me, it’s a miracle. Those times when I feel physically hurt by my back, I’m able to work through with a lot more ease, and no “drugs.” It’s major, I mean really major for me! I’m a completely different person than I was a couple of years ago. The other great thing is I have more energy, and drive then I have had in a long time. I’ve always been a peppy person, but I was becoming sluggish…Now I feel younger than I did a few years ago. I feel “high” sometimes, but I don’t need alcohol or food stimulants to make me feel that way. I know it’s the green juice!!! I mean it!

Green Juices and Green Smoothies is where it’s at! If you want to feel great, if you want to feel charged, if you want to feel euphoric, you need to DRINK YOUR GREENS!!! Even my husband and son have noticed a considerable change in their own health since they have been drinking their daily greens! My husband’s favorite green smoothie tastes like a malt to him. The smoothie consists of spinach, dark cherries, mango, hemp seeds, Green SuperFood powder (or you could use Chlorella or Spirulina), a little dried coconut, bee pollen, raw protein powder, Goji berries, banana, peppermint flavored liquid SweetLeaf Stevia, water and ice. Sometimes we add kale or parsley to it too. The darker the greens and the more cherries, the yummier!!! He loves it! My favorite is still the simple green romaine or spinach, with parsley and mango…Sometimes I’ll throw in a banana too to make it thicker!

I’m still creating recipes here and there, and experimenting with existing ones. I also have been reading quite a bit…several books at one time as always. Someday soon (when I have more time) I’ll write some more reviews on the books I’ve been reading. Well, I just thought I’d check in and say “Hi” to everyone, and let you know I’m still around. I recommend that you check out the Raw Fu site if you haven’t already, also visit Raw Food Right Now – lots of great new things happening over there! And, drop a line sometime.

Before I go, here are a couple of recipes I wanted to share with you. Enjoy!

My Miso Soup:
Base:
hemp seeds, miso paste, raw almond mylk, Nama Shoyu, ginger, sea salt, cayenne, chili pepper flakes, cold pressed sesame oil, purified water.

Add-ins:
Mushrooms, spinach, red bell pepper, raw corn kernels, green onions, minced garlic, parsley, and dulse flakes

...it was very yummy! I think you could even add slices of avocado if you wanted.



Portobello Sandwich:
Relish: raw corn kernels from one cob, 1/2 a red bell pepper finely chopped, 1/2 a zucchini finely chopped, and 1 avocado peeled, stoned and finely chopped. (Blended all the ingredients, and added a touch of sea salt, and garlic powder)

Prepare Portobello by scraping and washing it clean, and then add to the dehydrator for about 1 hour - it's still firm, but a little tenderer.

Spread your favorite raw nut cheese over the Romaine lettuce leaves. I used Sunflower nut cheese. Add the mushroom and then a good heaping serving of the relish. Top with slices of tomato, topped with another romaine lettuce leaf with nut spread too.

Very yummy! Enjoy!



Here are some other goodies I’ve “uncooked” up lately! What do you think?



Till next time…keep it raw, and have fun! Peace!

- Debbie