Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Doing the body good...

My son Brad and I have made it to the Recreation Center 7 times over a two and a half week period. We have also made it to two full hours of yoga over a two week period, plus I went an additional ½ hour the first week we started. We go Monday, Wednesday, and then again on Friday. Each time we go, we walk at least 1.25 miles around the indoor track, lift weights (resistance equipment), and also complete stretches. This past Monday, we actually walked over two miles before hitting the weights. This is only because my son was a little embarrassed to go into the weight room area when people who knew from school were there. Teenagers are so funny! But hey, it was a great extra workout for us, so it was well worth it!

On Wednesday is when we take the yoga class. It’s actually a yoga fitness class, so it’s harder, and definitely gets the heart rate going. It’s a great class because we work hard, and then we cool down to such a relaxed and focused state…its wonderful! We really love it so far. I love it so far! I’m thinking about purchasing my own yoga mat, so I don’t have to keep using the rec center’s mats.

Not only have I been going to the rec center to workout, but I’ve also been riding the recumbent bike at home still. I do this on Tuesdays and Thursdays, and occasionally on the weekends too. Yesterday was the best bike ride I’ve had in weeks. I was very happy about that! Oh, I even go swimming at least once or twice on the weekends – just to keep that heart rate up, stretch those limbs, and enjoy the refreshing water, and soak up the sun! Fun, fun!

I feel like I've really been doing the body good! :)

I’ve been using the heck out of my new juicer, and loving every minute of it. I’ll make yummy juices, and then turn them into yummy smoothies! Very cool! I haven’t done much dehydrating, except for some spicy corn chips and creamy spicy ice cream that has already been gobbled up by my family and me. But for the most part I’ve been spending most of my time working, exercising, making juices and smoothies, and reading my raw books. I’m really hooked on “Raw Magic” by Kate “Magic” Wood. This book is so cool! I can’t even describe it in words. The first part of the book digs deep into super foods and all that it is…I actually purchased several recommended items because of this book. I’ve gotten my purple corn extract, now I’m waiting for some other “oddities” that are very good for you. I plan to make her recipe for Cake Mates. It looks absolutely devine!

There are lots of original and creative, and delicious recipes in the book too! But right now I’m stuck on the information part of it first. Kate provides web links to resources for a lot of the things she writes about in her book. So I research them as I read along. It’s actually a great marketing tool…lol…Another great feature about Raw Magic is the wonderful layout of the book, the shiny smooth pages and cover, and the terrifically cool photos that are in the book. I believe Shazzie, of “Naked Chocolate: The Astonishing Truth About the World's Greatest Food” fame, is the one that took the pictures. It really is a cool book! This is the one I purchased online directly from Kate’s website in the UK, and had her sign it. She’s a celebrity in my eyes!

I consider many of the raw foodies in cyberspace, “raw celebrities!” In fact, this weekend I’ll be seeing another one, right here in Arizona – “Kristine Suzanne”, I can’t wait! This Saturday, July 12th, will be the first raw food preparation class I have ever taken, and it’s with Kristine Suzanne. She is teaching a raw chocolate class at Whole Foods. I know it’s going to be great!

Well, it’s getting late, and I really need to get ready for bed. So, I’ll close with a simple yet yummy smoothie. Here it is:

Papaya-Mango Green Smoothie:

1 medium papaya
1 fresh mango
1 cup frozen organic mango chunks
2 big handfuls spinach
1 handful parsley
Coconut water and ice to cover

Place all ingredients in the blender, and puree until smooth and creamy. This smoothie is easy, filling, and very refreshing!

No comments: