Sunday, June 29, 2008

This week’s blog

Well, I’ve been enjoying my new collection of raw books. I try to read a few pages in each one. Some of the books truly grab my attention with the information they have to offer. While others are just beautiful to look at, with all the fabulous and delicious looking recipes – I can’t wait to try them!

My son Brad and I did make it to the Recreation Center three times over the week. We went Monday, Wednesday, and then again on Friday. We had planned to go today, but were actually a little tired from staying up late last night. Each time we went we walked at least 1.25 miles around the track, lifted weights (resistance equipment), and also completed stretches. On Wednesday I took my first yoga class. It was yoga fitness – and it was hard. I was able to hang in there for the first half hour, but then had to stop. My back started to hurt, so that’s a sign I’m over doing it. However, I did go and do stretches, and walk a bit more around the track, since I couldn’t finish the class.

Not only did I work out with my son those three days, I also rode the recumbent bike at home on Tuesday and Thursday, and then again on Friday after we returned home from the Rec Center. That’s a lot for me too. I even went swimming for a bit yesterday. I had planned to go today, but I have been busy writing and researching. Who knows, maybe I’ll go later in the afternoon…we’ll see.

I finally got paid for the art job I did a couple of months ago – perfect timing too! I need it to pay for my son’s marching band camp and uniform this month. School is just around the corner again! Boy does time ever go so fast! Anyway, I used some of the money to purchase my new juicer. I decided on Jack LaLanne's JFPJ-B Power Juicer Juicing Machine. It’s great! Now I can start planning to do a “juice feast”…I hope. I’m still trying to psyche myself out to do it. I don’t know what’s really holding me back. I practically do nothing but drink my meals anyway on a daily basis.

I have to tell you, I’ve been a little discouraged this week. Even though I don’t feel or look like I have – I have gained back at least 5 of my lost pounds. I’m so bummed. I can’t help but think it’s caused from the few cheats I have succumbed to over the past couple of months. Even though I don’t cave-in regularly – I must do so enough to warrant the weight gain. I really need to watch myself. Then I think that maybe it’s from working out more lately or from hormones lately. Regardless, I need to watch myself. I also know I have been eating a few more raw bars than usual. I need to cut back on that too. That’s a lot of nuts and good fats...I may have to start my daily raw food journal again to keep better track of my eating behaviors.

I can’t wait for July 12th. I’m taking my first raw food preparation class. I have signed up for Kristine Suzanne’s raw chocolate class at Whole Foods. I know it’s going to be a blast! Plus Kristine is a very warm and personable individual. I can’t wait to meet her in person!

Although I’m not posting a smoothie recipe today, I am posting a very simple, colorful, and flavorful juice recipe that I made in my new juicer; and, I’m posting a yummy mocha dessert. So enjoy!

Orange, Carrot, Ginger Juice:

4-5 large oranges (peeled and cut)
3-4 medium carrots (tailed and leaves removed)
1 inch knob of fresh ginger

Place all ingredients in the juicer, and juice away! This juice is very colorful, and refreshing. Try it over ice, or in a smoothie, or at juicer temperature…it’s all good!

Cacao-Nut Cupcakes with Mocha-Coco Pudding Topping:

For cupcakes:
2 cups raw almonds
1 ½ cups pitted dates
1 tsp vanilla extract
¼ - ½ cup organic dried coconut flakes
1 scoop raw cacao powder (approximately 2-3 T)

Combine all ingredients in a food processor until combine. Press mixture into cupcake molds. Refrigerate up to one hour before serving with topping.

For pudding topping:
Flesh from 2 young Thai coconuts
2 scoops cacao powder (approximately 4-5 T)
1 scoop mesquite powder (approximately 2-3 T)
1 scoop lucuma powder (approximately 2-3 T)
3 T agave nectar
1 dropper chocolate flavored SweetLeaf Liquid Stevia
2 tsp organic coffee extract
1 T cold pressed coconut oil
dash organic ground cinnamon
¼ - ½ cup or more fresh Thai coconut water

Combine all ingredients in a blender. Mix well until silky smooth. Serve as pudding or topping on a raw cupcake, such as the Cacao-Nut Cupcake. Very yummo!

Well, that’s it for today. I’ll have to find some more time later in the week to tell you more about the books I’ve been reading.

Until next time! Peace!

- Debbie :)

No comments: